Dr. Capone’s Curriculum Vitae
Education and Training :
- 1973 Georgetown University College of Arts and Sciences, Washington, D.C. Degree: B.S. Cum Laude 1973
- 1977 Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, D.C. Degree: M.D. Cum Laude 1977
- 1977-1980 Internship, Boston City Hospital, Boston, MA
- 1978-1981 Resident in General Surgery -Tufts-New England Medical Center, Boston, MA
- 1981-1983 Resident in Plastic Surgery University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- 1984-Present Private Practice, Plastic Surgery, Pittsburgh, PA
- The American Board of Plastic Surgery, 1984
- Certificate of Added Qualifications in Surgery of the Hand, 1990, 2000
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh 1993 – Present
- 2006-2008 President, Greater Pittsburgh Plastic Surgery Society
- 1993-Present Medical Director, Shadyside Surgi-Center
- 1991-Present Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery, UPMC Shadyside Hospital
- 1989-Present Board of Directors, Arthritis Foundation
- 1989-Present Board of Directors, Shadyside Hospital Foundation
- 1996-1999 Membership Committee, Northeastern Society of
- 2009-Present Membership Committee, Robert H. Ivy Society of Plastic Surgeons
- 1994-1996 Bioethics Advisory Committee, Allegheny County Medical Society
- 1992-1995 Commission on Bioethics, Pennsylvania Medical Society
- 1989-1990 Secretary, Medical Staff, Shadyside Hospital
- 1987-1990 Chairman, Quality Assurance Committee, Shadyside Hospital
- 1976 Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- 1983 Honorable Mention, Robert H. Ivy Society of Plastic Surgeons
- 1990 Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- 1992 Who’s Who Among Rising Young Americans
- 2011 Castle Connolly Medical Top Doctor
- Capone, R.A.: Breast Reduction Surgery. University of Pittsburgh Medical Center -Shadyside Physician’s News Letter, 15:6-8, 2001
- Capone, R.A.: The Titanium Grommet in Flexible Implant Arthroplasty of the Radiocarpal Joint: A Long-Term Review of Forty-Four Cases. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 96: 667-671, 1995
- Capone, R.A., Herold, J.A.: Deep Sternotomy Infection: Early Primary and Single-stage Management with Muscle Flaps. Plastic Surgery 1992, Vol. II, U.T. Hinderer, editor, Elsevier Science Publishers B.V., Amsterdam, 1992.
- Capone, R.A.: Avoiding Breast Implants–Reconstructive Surgery in the ’90′s. Annual Report, Shadyside Hospital, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 1991.
Papers Presented to Major Organizations:
- “ Asymmetry in Aesthetic Breast Surgery”, Virgin Islands Workshop in Plastic Surgery, St. John, US Virgin Islands, 2006
- “Avoiding Sensory Disturbances in Brow Lift Surgery”, Virgin Islands Workshop in Plastic Surgery, St. John, US Virgin Islands, 2005
- “Aesthetic Rejuvenation of Upper Face”, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Grand Rounds 2004
- “The Sub Pectoral Pocket in Breast Augmentation: A 20 Year Retrospective” Invited Faculty, Virgin Islands Workshop in Plastic Surgery, St. John, US Virgin Islands, 2004
- “Lipo-Reduction Mammoplasty” Invited Faculty, Virgin Islands Workshop in Plastic Surgery, St John, US Virgin Islands, 2004
- “The Crippled Hand – The Surgical Alternative,” Pennsylvania Occupational Therapist Society, 1998.
- “The Titanium Grommet in Flexible Implant Arthroplasty of the Radiocarpal Joint,” Invited Faculty, British Virgin Island Workshop in Plastic Surgery, Tortola, B.V.I., 1994, KPRS, July 1995, Yokohama, Japan, and Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 1993.
- “The FDA Mandated Study on Breast Implants–Lessons for All,” Invited Faculty, Shadyside Hospital Interdisciplinary Conference, Sarasota, Florida, February 1993.
- “Deep Sternotomy Infection,” X International Confederation for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Madrid, Spain, July 1992.
- “Deep Sternotomy Infection: Single-stage Management with Muscle Flaps,” American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons, Seattle, Washington, and Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1991.
- “The Bone Implant Interface and the Grommet Concept for Improving Long Term Results of Implant Arthroplasty,” American Society for Surgery of the Hand, 1985.
- “The Transaxillary Subpectoral Alternative in Augmentation Mammoplasty, A Comparative Review,” Robert H. Ivy Society, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, 1983.
- “Mastopexy Advances”
- “Approach to Common Hand Problems”
- “Tumors of the Hand”
- “Arthritic Hand Surgery”
- “Breast Reduction Surgery”
- “Facial Skin Cancer; Local Flap”
- “The Ten Commandments of Emergency Hand Care”
- “Approach to Common Hand Disorders”
- “A Nuclear Terrorist Attack on Metropolitan Pittsburgh: Disaster Strategies”
- “The Difficult Breast”
- “Immediate Breast Reconstruction”
- “Care of the Arthritic Hand”
- “Wound Healing: A Clinical Perspective”
- “Approach to Ear Deformities”
- “Care of the Diabetic Limb”
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- The Greater Pittsburgh Plastic Surgery Society
- Robert H. Ivy Society of Plastic Surgeons
- UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside Hospital (Active) 1984-present
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: MD-025510-E Date Issued: 1981